What is the Purpose of a Resume?
A resume is a document created and used by a person to present their background, skills, and accomplishments. This is a document where you highlight jobs, skills, and involvements. Take a look at the resources below!
General Resume Tips
- A resume should ideally be a single page and it should never be longer than two pages.
- Use a font that is easy to read such as Times New Roman or Arial.
- Use bold type on all headings. (Job Objective, Education, Employment History, Volunteer Experience, Skills, Activities and Awards.)
- Under Employment History only include jobs that you have held for more than one month.
- Under Education, list your most recent school and include the date or expected date of graduation.
- Be positive by identifying your accomplishments. Use action verbs to describe your accomplishments and responsibilities.
- Ex: Administered, Arranged, Chaired, Coordinated, Directed, Executed, Delegated, Headed, Managed, Operated, Orchestrated, Organized, Oversaw, Planned, Produced, Programmed, Spearheaded
- Use short and concise sentences. It is okay to use either phrases or sentences when describing responsibilities and accomplishments.
- If you have a limited employment history or no employment history you may want to include a section titled “Volunteer Experience” or “Activities and Awards” which can highlight your skills and interests.
- Proofread your resume carefully. Use spell check. Make certain that the words are spelled correctly AND that they are the right words. Have someone else proofread your resume.